A blog about my adventures, wherever I may be.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Underneath a waterfall



It’s a tiny one, but still!
I have been packing a lot into my last few weeks here in Pohnpei.  School-wise, my computer class is learning how to navigate Microsoft Word (when there is cash power).  I also had the guts to speak in Pohnpeian at my final PTA meeting, which turned out pretty well.  I am working with the debate team on the fine art of arguing (MHS even had its first annual debate, hosted by yours truly) and researching (through interviews and the internet).  In the library, students from all levels have been captivated by…American pop culture magazines.  Thank you Pennoyer Elementary School 8th graders!  MHS also did very well in the Pohnpei Public Library’s Art and Essay Contest in celebration of its 25th anniversary.  This year’s theme was “Reading: Lighthouse to the World”.
You know you’re in a small country when…you can meet with your state senator after one phone call.
So proud of these students, the most prolific readers at MHS! 
I am glad to report to you all, dear readers, that I have accomplished everything on my Pohnpeian bucket list (kickin’ the bucket, indeed).  I finally visited Pahntakai Waterfall in U and the Mand swimming hole in Madolenihmw.  I am also starting to decide what clothes to give away and what to keep.  My advice to you, future volunteers in Micronesia – you will acquire A LOT of clothing during your service, so only bring enough clothes to get you started (say, two week’s worth tops).  I am also preparing for graduate school at UIUC by setting up various accounts and filling out paperwork (never-ending!).
Pahntakai
Brad in a literal bat cave behind the waterfall
With Berman, one of my best students and Mand tour guide
So athletic!
You may be wondering how I’m feeling right now, with three weeks left in my Peace Corps service.  Well, I’m not actually sure.  I think I’m in denial that I’m actually leaving Pohnpei, but at the same time I’m anticipating everything I’m planning to do once I’m back in the states for good.  Is that odd?  32 months away from “home” is an awfully long time, but I have created another “home” for myself here in Pohnpei.  Home is where the heart is?
As long as I don’t get a kool aid induced heart attack!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Reminds me of Frank Sinatra's "MY WAY". You did it your way Jan!!!!! God has been very gracious and faithful.....so much answered prayers...precious memories forever...so much learning, fun and nostalgia as we read your blog...I'm sure a lot of your "silent readers" will miss your Micronesia blogs.

    ReplyDelete