A blog about my adventures, wherever I may be.

Monday, April 8, 2013

In a rain cloud

Just wanted to share with you, dear reader, two events that happened to me this past Saturday.  I know – it’s crazy how much I’ve been updating.  With five weeks left in Pohnpei I need to make the most of my remaining time here. 
Though I’m not going to miss pigs entering my shower!
I met President Emanuel Mori of the Federated States of Micronesia.  We had lunch together (along with Bishop Armando and various Jesuit priests).  We talked about Michael Jordan and Barack Obama (I told him I was from Chicago), how I ended up volunteering in Micronesia for 2½ years, and how I should come back to the F.S.M. to teach after I finish my master’s degree.  It was awesome.
President Manny Mori (on the right) with bonus Bishop Armando (sitting down)
I went night fishing with Nick (the M78 in Salapwuk) and his host grandfather.  Using a canoe, we paddled out into the Pacific Ocean in the middle of the night.  As multitudes of stars shined overhead (when it wasn’t raining) I actually caught nine fish.  Two more got away from me, one of them even after I bit into its head (Gollum style).  It was awesome.
My first catch!
Where else in the world can I have lunch with the president of a country and then go fishing at night?  Only in Pohnpei.

3 comments:

  1. UNFORGETTABLE!!!! Really, really marvelous ....the good Lord is smiling.....showering you with all these once in a lifetime experiences....parental units are so very proud of you.....including the Gollum style treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One golden sunset evening I was coming to the end of my own Peace Corps service in Ghana, West Africa, back in 1986. I was walking down a hill from the classroom block, the valley below lit in yellows, golds, and greens. I suddenly realized that I would not pass this way again. I was both happy and sad. Happy to have had the opportunity to live and teach in Ghana, sad to be leaving a place that had come to mean so much to me. Still means so much to me - Ghana remains a touchstone in my life. A baby named for me has since grown to be a successful man, my own friends from that time are aging along with me.

    Pohnpei will always be special, and you are far more likely to return to Pohnpei than I am to return to Ghana. Stay in touch, the road ahead may be unclear at times, but exciting and challenging. On that sunlit hill I knew I was experiencing a moment of magic in my life, ahead were other magical times, marriage and the arrival of children.

    My youngest daughter remained unnamed for two days in Pohnpei hospital as no obvious name suggested itself (in Kosraean culture one never works on a name prior to birth). Ghana had left me prepared. She was born on Saturday. Ama. Ama is the day name for an Akan female born on Saturday. So for a couple days I referred to her as Ama. Eventually another name was generated, but she started as Ama.

    So I know Pohnpei will follow you for the rest of your life, and you will also follow Pohnpei.

    ReplyDelete