A blog about my adventures, wherever I may be.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Acting like a mehn wai

When you have 40 days left in a country where you’ve been living for over 2½ years, you would too.  It’s slowly sinking in that I will actually be leaving Pohnpei and not be coming back for another ten years (or at least that’s what I tell the random people who ask me this question).  Marriage propositions have tripled for me – I’ve even gotten an offer from my nohno kahlap (grandmother) to find me a Pohnpeian husband to bring back to the states…it’s the thought that counts?
It’s best not to think too much when taking off or landing on Pohnpei’s runway.
My time and energy this past month have been devoted to assuring the sustainability of the library (always), joking around with MHS students (my way of showing how much I care), teaching my host sisters how to drive (totally legal), writing the single most important document of my Peace Corps experience (not an exaggeration, since the Description of Service will be the only official record of my service for the next 60 years), and preparing for graduate school starting this summer (going to UIUC, just in case you were wondering).
My victory pose for how productive I was
Over the spring break (since seasons exist here in Pohnpei – not) I was up to plenty things.  Seeing that it coincided perfectly with Holy Week (since separation of church and state exists here in Pohnpei – not) I attended Catholic mass and services both with my host family and in Kolonia.  One of my most favorite activities that I do in town is play flute in the international choir, which I did in a big way at Easter Sunday mass.   

Palm Sunday
Holy Thursday
Holy Thursday
Stations of the Cross on Good Friday
Happy Easter, courtesy of the instrumental section!
During the break I also saw my World Teach and Jesuit Volunteer friends fly off to Chuuk (I think they came back…), explored more of what Kolonia Town has to offer (there are some real hidden treasures), and climbed Sokehs Ridge a fourth time in the company of Christy’s family.
Ran Annim to Sam, Brian, and Brad
View from Nett Bridge
Japanese army tanks
Kay, Christy, and me on top of Sokehs Ridge
Dear reader, my time in the Peace Corps is almost over (AHH!).  Please stay tuned for a few more blog entries as I wrap up my service.  Much love to my family and friends for constantly supporting me on this journey.

1 comment:

  1. Breathtaking views....very inspiring experiences.. unforgettable friends...thanks for sharing your Peace Corps journey Janelle ...we'll keep following you!!

    ReplyDelete