A blog about my adventures, wherever I may be.

Monday, January 28, 2013

In CHUUK

Let’s start with the basics.  The Federated States of Micronesia is composed of Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk, and Yap.  As you know from following this blog, dear reader, I have been living on Pohnpei for over two years.  During this time I have often wondered how the experiences of my fellow volunteers serving in the other states compared to my own.  What better way to find out than actually visit?

 I had the opportunity to get a little taste of life in Chuuk thanks to my friend Becky, M77 volunteer on Tonoas (a lagoon island).  She is one of two volunteers (the other one being myself) who extended her service to oversee a project, in her case a basketball court.  Becky completely amazed me with her fluency in Chuukese, her level of integration into the community, and her ease in navigating Chuukese daily life.  I was not the only one impressed – the Chuuk State Legislature even wrote a resolution recognizing all of the things Becky did for her school and community!

Ran Annim
At Sino Elementary's Christmas party
Becky with the chief supporter of the community basketball court
I played games and sang with some of Becky’s current and former students
Slightly jealous that Becky got to see the ocean everyday!
Can you spot the PCV?  Ben W. is the M78 at Sino Elementary

Becky and Ziggy, her rambunctious host nephew (very similar to K-Ben)
Now I’ve attended Catholic mass in seven different languages!
English, Italian, French, Tagalog, Korean, Pohnpeian, and Chuukese in case you were wondering.
The infamous road of Weno, the capital
Kinisou Chapur for everything!



1 comment:

  1. I had a great time with you, thank you for visiting me in Chuuk!

    ReplyDelete